Male Infertility Factor is the primary cause of infertility in 20-30% of the cases3. It is estimated that this condition affects 30 million globally3.
- Approximately $244MM in healthcare costs associated with this condition4.
- 25-40% of the male infertility cases are diagnosed as idiopathic and implicated due to oxidative stress5.
- High levels of oxidative stress have been linked to abnormal sperm function, resulting abnormal semen parameters and failed IVF outcomes:
- Lipid peroxidation which damages the sperm surface causing an abnormal morphology and impaired motility
- Damage to proteins on cell surface responsible for cell signaling and may affect enzyme function inside the cell
- Peroxidation of DNA and subsequent unraveling or fragmentation
- Impaired fertilization by affecting sperm capacitation and acrosome reaction
Identifying idiopathic cases of male infertility requires an accurate, easy to use test that is capable of measuring oxidative stress.
MiOXSYS’s sORP measure is based upon the principle of Oxidation-Reduction Potential, which measures the giving and taking of electrons. Unlike other measures, sORP represents an integrated measure of oxidants and reductants, making it a more clinically meaningful measure.
- In clinical validation studies MiOXSYS’ sORP provides a superior PPV, which is required of a rule-in test.
- The MiOXSYS System enables laboratory efficiencies with stat capability, requiring less than 1 minute hands on time, and results in 3 minutes.
- American Pregnancy Association
- Tremellen K. Oxidative stress and male infertility – a clinical perspective. Hum Reprod Update. 2008 May-Jun;14(3):243-58.
- Agarwal A, et al. A unique view on male infertility around the globe. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2015.
- Allied Market Research Report 2012.
- Sigman M, Howards SS (1998). Male infertility. In: Walsh PC, Retik AB,Vaughan Jr ED, Wein AJ, editors. Campbell’s Urology (7th ed.) Philadelphia:WB Saunders Company. 1287-1320.
- Agarwal A. Diagnostic application of oxidation-reduction potential assay for measurement of oxidative stress in male factor infertility. Reprod Biomed. 2016.